Saturday, November 22, 2008

Recoleta Fair



I had my 2nd to last Arabic class today. We're winding down. There were only 6 students there. For me it is reassuring to see that classes get smaller towards the end of the semester in Argentina too! It's not just my class!!!

Well, actually, I don't know how reassuring it is, because I think part of the reason our class is getting smaller is because so many students are feeling lost. It's the reason I stopped going to the phonetics class on Friday. It was a waste of my time.

Today I was happy because Claudia was there. She laughs at my jokes. I'm always afraid Ybti is going to yell at us and tell us to stop fooling around. It is very easy to make Claudia laugh. She really brightens up the class when she is there.

But the other students who were there today are all very nice. Actually, my Arabic class is very nice in general. I like the class.

After Italian on Wednesday, and today after Arabic, I was feeling very fortunate to have had the opportunity to study something with Argentines. I know I complained a lot about the teaching and was frustrated sometimes, but it was a great way to meet other people. I feel like I was allowed to be a part of something that most visitors/tourists, don't get to experience. Others come here and go to milongas or get to go to a parilla at someone's house, but not many people get to study with Argentines. I really enjoyed it in the end.

After class we went to the bar. I thought we were meeting to study Arabic and had told Carlos, my conversation partner, that I wanted to stay and study. I was thinking I might try to take the make-up exam, which Ybti told me I could do on December 15. But after today's class, which was a review of what will be on the test, I decided not to take it. I was totally confused today and I realized that the exam is way beyond what we are being prepared to be able to do. As we were doing these review exercises, whether it was reading a dialogue or matching words on the board, Ybti allowed us very little time to figure things out on our own and often gave us the answers. She won't be there to do that during the test.

So we met in the cafeteria and just talked for an hour. It was very sweet! I of course missed half of the conversation either because I couldn't hear or I couldn't understand, but it was fun just hanging out and chatting. Again, it helped me to realize what a nice class it is that we have.

After class I came home and played some games on facebook which are quickly becoming my new addiction! I even have a virtual pet named "che". I played with him a little today and took him to the store to buy food. He likes it when I give him a bath.

After playing for a bit, I took a nice nap and was awakened by what sounded like it might have been my phone. I checked my message and it had was Lorena and Tess. We made plans to meet here and go to the Recoleta Fair.

Lorena likes to shop, so the Recoleta Fair must have been like paradise to her. I've been there with several people, but usually we kind of breeze through quickly. Not today. We stopped at every stall. It was great practice for me at being patient and being present. Once I got used to the rythym of stopping and often standing at one stall for 5-10 minutes, it became really quite enjoyable. It was a lovely day. We got there late, so it wasn't crowded, and there is a lot to look at even if you aren't shopping.

There is one grassy area that I jokingly called "Cirque de Soleil training ground" Some young guys strung up tightropes between trees and take turns walking on them. It looks like it is a terrific core strengthening exercise! It was fun to watch. Other people were climbing these ribbons that were hanging from trees, while others sat on the grass and watched, or drank mate and talked. It was a very "hippy" scene and I enjoyed having a reason to stop and just drink it all in.

In other places I stopped and waited while Lorena puzzled over which earrings to buy or which shirts she liked. Again, it made me slow down and see what was going on around me. I got to watch people walking by, or listen to the shop keepers speaking Spanish, or just enjoy standing in the sun (or shade).

I was glad that Lorena found some things that she liked. It's always enjoyable to see someone enjoy something that you are partially responsible for (like watching someone enjoy a meal you cooked). I did after all bring them there, so I am taking some credit!

I even bought two items! I got two pair of earrings for gifts (hmmm....who will get them???)

From there, we were right at the end of Posadas and in perfect striking distance to El Sanjuanino, one of my favorite restaurants. It was fun walking there because the last time I was there was with Popi back in August. It was still winter. Seeing what the street looked like in late spring was quite shocking. The trees are now full of leaves and it was almost like we were walking through a jungle. It was all very lush and we could hear the bird that sounds like an ice cream truck (but I have still yet to see it).

Dinner was good. Our waiter was very sweet. We had empanadas (which are now up to 5 pesos each!). I had a steak and fries, Lorena had a tamale, and Tess had chicken. We had a nice bottle of tempranillo and split a mixed salad. My steak was good, but a little fatty. The tamale was not so good (I thought) and I don't know how Tess' chicken was. But, I like El Sanjuanino. It has a very neighborhoody feel and the food is hearty.

After steak, of course I needed ice cream to get the taste of beef out of my mouth. We went to Volta on Callao and Pacheco de Melo, which is one of my favorite Volta's. It's a very nice space and it was nice to sit and eat ice cream on this warm spring night. It was hot, actually.

As we walked home, I was stopped and asked for directions twice. One woman, who was all dressed up and driving an SUV, asked me how to get to Plaza Recoleta. As I told her how I thought she might go, she said, "oh, you are a foreigner and I am asking you for directions". She was pretty funny. I told her it was good practice for me. I think probably she stopped the next person she found and got the REAL directions!

A few steps down the street and a delivery guy asked for directions. It's funny, I find Buenos Aires very easy to navigate, but people are always asking for directions. I think it must be like when I go to New York and have no idea where I am. Only a few times I have told people I didn't know, but most of the time I try to help people and I hope I am not sending them too far out of their way! It's one of the things I like the most about being here - that I don't stand out like a sore thumb and people think I am from here (until I open my mouth)!

So, it was a full day. It's fun having people here to show around (I think I might have already said that). I'm also being inspired by Lorena and Tess to get in a few more tango lessons before I go back to SF and maybe even go to a milonga (to see it). We'll see. I still can't imaging dancing close embrace in this heat unless the air-conditioner is on full force (which I doubt).

No comments: