Sunday, November 23, 2008

San Telmo Fair



Today was another hot day, but the humidity was not that high, so in the shade, at least, there was some relief.

I met Tess and Lorena and we headed down to San Telmo to check out the Sunday Antiques Fair. I think this is about the 3rd or 4th time I've been there. Today I discovered something new. There are actually two fairs. There is the antique fair and there is a more populist sort of artesan fair. I actually prefer the artisan fair more.

When I went last year for the first time with Larry, we headed straight for the antique fair but made a short trip into the part where the more artsy, hippy crowd hangs out. It didn't seem to go very far. Now, it extends almost all the way to Plaza de Mayo. They sell all sorts of stuff - clothing, jewelry, books, music, chess games with Incas vs. Spaniards. There was a lot to look at and I even picked up a few things myself - some gifts for folks, some things for myself. I regret not getting a beautiful wooden bowl I saw, but am also glad I didn't have to carry it around all day.

After making it about most of the way through the artesan part of the fair, we hooked up briefly with Hernan and a friend of his. Hernan and I walked Tess and Lorena to the place where there was a tango class they wanted to take (hopefully we got them to the right place) and then I walked Hernan home.

From there, I headed towards the subte. I decided to take a detour and once again look at the amazing gothic building on Avenida Belgrano (pictured above). When I got to Avenida de Mayo, the sun was at an angle that was casting beautiful shadows on the wonderful buildings that line the avenue, and all of the trees were lush and green and casting beautiful shadows on everything. I decided to walk up Avenida de Mayo and take some photos of some of the buildings in the summer(ones I have from last year are in winter) and with this beautiful, warm, afternoon light.

I really love Avenida de Mayo. I think it should be up there among the world's most beautiful streets, but unfortunately, many of the buildings are in need of care and are covered with graffiti or simply in need of a good cleaning. To me it adds to the charm. It was nice walking down the avenue on a fairly quiet Sunday afternoon. I passed many sidewalk cafes with people enjoying an afternoon beer and finally got a hankering for one myself. I stopped at La Continental and got a few slices of pizza and a beer. It was hot, sitting in the setting sun, but it was fun watching the people who strolled by. People on Avenida de Mayo, and that part of town are very different from where I live.

Unfortunately, my relaxing snack was disturbed by a noisy American who came outside with his cell phone and had several loud conversations. I was not sure what the guy did, but he was talking about making movies and not liking New York in the winter, so he was going to continue to travel until it got warm. But the thing was, he was talking so loud and at one point, he was just plain obnoxious.

From there I walked a little more until I decided to take a taxi the rest of the way home. I was hot, sweaty and tired and couldn't wait to get home and jump in the shower.

All in all it was a very full day and I am exhausted. I have some pics of Avenida de Mayo that I will post on my photo blog, but not tonight, because I am too tired.

No comments: