Monday, June 4, 2007

1st day of school

Well, actually, it isn't my first day of school yet. I haven't had class yet, but just finished with my orientation and placement test.

We met at a coffee shop near the school (which by the way, I have no idea where I am now) at 9 a.m. It was easy to find my group - a large group of people had already assembled in the center of this cafe. More and more people arrived, all in their early twenties (very early twenties), suddenly I started to feel very old, but it was ok. They were cute. Conversations went kind of like this ...where are you from?... oh, I went to school there...what was your major?... cool!

The guy across from me was very nice and knew enough to ask me "What do you do?" - I think I'm the only one in our group who actually has a job.

Then the group of us, which was quite large, walked through the streets of Buenos Aires (taking over the street) to get to the school where we had our placement oral exam. I did fairly well. It was challenging for me. The instructor asked me if I wanted level 5 or 6 (6 being the highest) and I thought I'd go for the challenge. From now on, I'm going to speak to Larry in Spanish too, and try my best to live these two months in Spanish (though it will be hard if I hang around these kids, which I probably won't).

I'm now in the computer room at school and am going to head to the cafeteria to see what kind of food they have for lunch. Then I have my class from 1-4.

The guy working in the computer room is quite funny. When I came in, another guy was here, and I just asked him, "any computer?" (in Spanish of course) and he said "si" and kind of brushed me towards a computer. I was the first one here. As the other new students filter in after their oral exams it is the same routine. This other guy, who apparently works here, is not in the room. They walk in, see me and ask, "do we need a password?" - I say no, but you need to tell that guy that you want to use the computer. They get tired of waiting, sit down and start typing and he walks in, goes up to them and with an attitude, asks them who they are. He's kind of like a guard dog that leaves the house and then barks at you when he realizes you are already inside. I guess this is what college life is like (they didn't have computer rooms when I was in college).

Ok, I'm going to go take my liver pills and limp over to the cafeteria and see what the kids are talking about now (and I was like, dude, no way).

No comments: