Monday, June 11, 2007

Some Random Thoughts


I have to write this somewhere. As I mentioned before, everyone kisses everyone here, but it is very striking when you see two men give each other a little peck on the cheek. Well, on Saturday, I was in San Juanino, the little restaurant across from Larry's apartment, and there was a police officer in there waiting for his order to go. Another officer went up, put his hand on his back, and leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. I'm telling you, I've seen lots of greetings worldwide, from the Thai "wai" to the Japanese bow, but this little kiss on the cheek beats them all, especially to see two policemen kiss!

The ice cream here is terrific and I'm addicted. Today after a nice steak and salad for dinner, I had the craving for something sweet. As I knew there was a Freddo ice cream parlor in the direction that Larry and Anna were going to walk, I decided to go with them. Larry taught me a little joke that he got from a friend who was here, "I need some ice cream to get rid of the taste of beef in my mouth." It has become like that. One thing after another to get rid of the taste of the last thing I ate. I love that I can eat salad anywhere and anytime and I love that I can eat ice cream (or rather gelato) in the dead of winter.

I have a date tomorrow to meet Hernan after school. I love the way he speaks English (I have to confess I am cheating and speaking English with him instead of Spanish). His accent sounds more Italian than Spanish. In English, I'll be able to find out what kind of plays he writes, if that is the case.

It is really a trip to talk to the Chinese students at my school in Spanish. There are two in particular who are very cute. One young woman, whose Spanish name is Yolanda (but she pronounces it the Argentine way - Jolanda), and a young guy who's Spanish name is Octavio (and his English name is Kevin). They are both from Lanzhou, which is in Central China. They've been here since February and are both in level 5, so their Spanish is pretty good. Octavio said he's going to stay here and go to university because Spanish is a very important language in China now. I love running into them in the cafeteria at school and hearing them say things like "que tal?", "como te va?", etc. Too cute.

I found out I am paying way too much for my classes because I registered through this agency when I could have registered directly with the University of Buenos Aires program. Oh well, live and learn. If I wanted to, I could also study Italian, Chinese or a whole host of other languages for next to nothing (I think it's about $100 US for 4 months of class). I love having to go to school because it gives me a reason to get out of the house and away from things like blogging or watching American Inventor.

Nobody seems to have change here. It doesn't matter what you buy or where you are (except in restaurants), but no matter what bill you give someone, they always ask if you have something smaller.

Some service in some restaurants is very slow and they don't write anything down, so mistakes seem common.

Waiters always seem to give you one less menu than the number of people at your table (except when we went to an expensive restaurant in Puerto Madero). If there are two people, they give you one menu, if there are three people, they give you two. What's up with that?

The airport is still fogged in and flights are canceled or delayed, and they are predicting a cold front coming in July. Actually, they are predicting on on June 20, one in July and one in October! How can they know that? I've been hot since I've been here. There is heat indoors every where we go (I sleep with my windows open and my heated floors). Outside the weather has been very pleasant with the coldest day being last Thursday because of the fog. I'm looking forward to some colder weather so I can wear some of the clothes I brought (and use it as an excuse to buy more).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice nobody has been commenting. Wouldn't I be the "last one" to do anything bloggish? Anyway, I was wondering how you were doing so I checked your blog. Hope all is well with your thumb and all the rest of you. say hi to Larry. I would like to be the first to identify the yellow thing in the picture--soap! Am I right? What's my prize? Anyway I leave on Saturday and no I didn't start a a blog for my trip. But it was nice to read yours. A hug, Sonja.

Rick Kappra said...

Congratulations Sonja!!! You correctly identified the yellow thing in the photo. Your prize will be something I end up buying. I don't know yet what it is.

I don't know if you will get this message sent to you or if it will only be here on the blog, so I'm keeping it short until I find out.

My thumb is better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick
I just checked your blog because I wanted to get your website for a friend of mine who is having problems with vertigo. By the way I've seen similar soap things maybe in Russia but it does look really odd. Anyway take care
Sonja