Saturday, December 27, 2008

Adventures With Diana - continued....



After soaking my legs and feet in a warm bath on Thursday night and again yesterday morning, I was ready to pound the tiled sidewalks again with Diana (that is what we call her here).

Diane came by and we headed down to my money changer at Callao and Santa Fe. There was one person being served, so we had to wait, but as soon as he was done, we walked up, handed over our money, got our pesos and left. No hassle, no fuss. No one telling us to stand behind the line. No passports. I don't understand why it is different than the other places, but I hope there is one like this in my new neighborhood next year.

From there we walked one block to Rodriguez Pena to La Cholita for lunch. La Cholita is a parilla, but it is kind of cool with crayons and newsprint on the table and feels very relaxed to me. I had pork and Diane had an eggplant sandwich. I think she was trying to be healthy, but the sandwich came on a huge roll. I think it would have been healthier to just have a hunk of meat!

I knew Diane wanted to window shop and we had some time before our foot massages, so I sent her down Santa Fe and I headed to El Ateneo to buy some tango CDs for someone. We met up in Volta.

From there we headed over to Yin Yang Pie. I got a one hour foot massage while Diane was getting her pedicure. Then she got a foot massage while I got a pedicure. I fell asleep during my foot massage. I don't know if it helped with the plantar facitis, but it felt good. I guess there was a misunderstanding though because Diane's foot massage was only 30 minutes. Still, we were happy.

Oh, I forgot, she is Diana now.

So Diana and I came back to my place for a brief rest and then hopped in a cab to San Telmo to visit Hernan and his friend Catarine. Catarine is visiting from Quebec, and when her boyfriend arrives in a few days she is heading to Easter Island in Chile (one place I'd really love to go) and then backpacking in Bolivia. She was very nice and Diana, Hernan and Catarine all hit it off very well. It was a nice visit.

From Hernan's we were able to walk to Peru which eventually turns into Florida (street that is). The vendors we liked on Peru were mostly gone (there is a very hippie/alternative scene on Peru during the day), but as we crossed over Avenida de Mayo to Florida Street, the venders stretched the length of Florida Street for miles. They were selling everything - mates (of course), bags, jewelry, underwear, sandals, toys, etc. There were musicians - one alternative band with a horn section and young kids with dreadlocks that was really jamming and very good, a few Peruvian looking guys playing flutes along with recorded new age music, one human statue, and tons of people. As we got closer to Cordoba, where Gallerias Pacifica is, the crowds got denser and it became harder to walk and look at what was being sold. We ducked into Gallerias Pacifica through the side entrance and Diane used the rest room (I had to wait because the mens room was out of order) and then we went to the food court.

The food courts in the malls here are pretty much your standard Argentine fare. Most of them have steak. A few have chicken. We were looking at the sushi menu at a Japanese restaurant while the guy behind the counter ignored us. Finally when I asked him if they were open, he said yes, but they didn't have any sushi. We settled on Chinese. It was what you could expect at a food court in a mall, but I was really hungry, so I enjoyed it anyway.

After we ate I remembered I wanted to try what was supposed to be the best pizza in Buenos Aires. Another night perhaps.

From there we were able to walk up Santa Fe towards our homes. I love Santa Fe when it is not busy and you can look up and see the elegant old apartment buildings that line the street. It's nice to walk on Sunday, since the stores are closed and the street is pretty quiet. It is a lovely avenue.

By the time we got to Volta I was ready for a rest so we ducked in and had small ice creams. Diane had chocolate nero (black chocolate) and raspberry and I had lemon mousse and strawberry chocolate chip (I like the strawberry with chocolate chips).

I walked Diana to Puerrydon where we practiced kissing like Argentines and then came home and had a good night's sleep, where unfortunately I had a teaching dream. It was one of those dreams where I was in the classroom but didn't have the right book, didn't know what I was supposed be teaching, etc. I hate those dreams!

I'm now ready to give Diana a call and see if she is ready for our adventure today. This morning we are going to Palermo, we'll have lunch there and then come home for naps before going to the Recoleta Fair in the evening and then have dinner at El Sanjuanino. Another full day, hopefully my feet will hold up.

No comments: