Sunday, December 21, 2008

Relief



Yesterday was sweltering. It went up to 95F (35C) and was humid, probably making it feel like it was over 100. Old people like me can die in that kind of heat.

I didn't know it was so hot because I didn't leave my apartment until after 5 or so. I am not sure what I did. Since I finished classes and I permanently have the shutters in my bedroom closed (to keep it cool), I have been sleeping later. This means I am also going to bed later. I wonder if that is going to make it easier or more difficult to readjust to SF time.

So I got up late, spent hours playing on the computer (Facebook has become my preferred method of wasting time these days), ate breakfast and lunch, watched a rerun of America's Next Top Model, and finally couldn't take it anymore. I decided to walk up Santa Fe, towards Palermo (it might already be Palermo).

Once I started walking, I realized how hot it was. I was standing on the corner of Puerrydon and Santa Fe and the sun was beating on me and I felt like I was cooking. Fortunately, because of the heat, or because of the time of day, or because it was Saturday, or because it is close to Christmas, the sidewalks were not too crowded, until I got near to Alta Palermo Shopping Center, and then it was a zoo.

I decided to walk to Julian Alvarez and scope out my neighborhood for my return. I'm 99% sure I will be taking the apartment I looked at there. Norma doesn't like it because it has carpet. My only problem was that it kind of smelled (but there was someone living there). I liked the terrace and the kitchen, and after walking through the neighborhood, I like the neighborhood a lot too. There is a chino right across the street (convenient for those last minute runs for water, wine, or whatever), and there is cafe/coffee shop on the corner. There is a great seafood market two blocks away and as I walked by I saw piles of fresh Chilean salmon, and fresh prawns (which have been impossible for me to find). I know I'll be eating a lot of seafood when I return. It is also closer to Chinatown and within walking distance of Jumbo. Plus there will be a whole bunch of new restaurants and shops for me to explore.

After exploring the neighborhood a bit, I headed back down Santa Fe, and even though I was walking in the shade, it seemed hotter. And it seemed to get more crowded, the more I walked. I was constantly dodging people and thinking about Tess who said once when we were walking (pick a lane!) I'm not sure what she was referring to, but I thought it was funny how people here don't seem to walk in straight lines, but are all over the sidewalk.

I stopped at a shop that sells aromatherapy kind of stuff. Bath salts, bath lotions, sprays, candles, etc. I got some lavendar spray there and it is nice. Diane has problems sleeping, and I thought some lavendar spray and bath milk might be nice for her. I was standing in line sweating and the young woman in front of me turned to me and asked "is that for men?" At first I didn't realize she was talking to me as I was kind of zoned out with the heat and all, so she repeated it. I just shrugged, and said, "this is for a friend (amiga)" which made her question kind of moot. But I thought about the question and it seemed kind of odd to me. Being gay, I am less concerned if something is for men or women as I am with whether or not I like it. So can a man take a lavender scented bath? Why the hell not! I guess metrosexuality has not caught on yet here.

On the way home I passed a pasta shop and even though I have leftover salmon that is very tasty and healthy, I wanted some ravioli. I picked up a box of ravioli, a small container of bolognese sauce and some grated cheese. It cost me 19 pesos (about 6 dollars or less) for what turned out to be a wonderful dinner. The ravioli were small, but fresh and homemade. The sauce was also good. It is a dinner that my mother would have spent days making (between the sauce and the pasta) and for me took only a few minutes. One more thing I will miss - the fresh pasta that is everywhere.

Ah, and the relief? Today it is raining. It was gray and overcast this morning and it rained briefly, but then it stopped. After doing some editing, I decided I should go out earlier today and took a shower and got dressed for the gym. As soon as I was ready to leave, I looked out and it had started raining again. I didn't want to carry an umbrella and didn't want to get all wet, so I stayed in. The rain got heavier, but it also cools things down amazingly. It is in the low 70's now. Almost 20 degrees (or more) cooler than yesterday. I'm feeling a nap coming on, even though it sounds to me like the rain has stopped.

Today is my final day of boredom as my friend Diane arrives tomorrow. It will be fun hanging out with her my last week. She is one of the easiest people to do anything with. She likes to eat (which is a major pre-requisite for me), she is easy-going, super nice, and very low drama. I know she will have ideas about things that she wants to do, but I also know if I suggest something, she'll go along with it. I've been eating lots of salmon and trying to shed a few pounds in anticipation of spending time with Diane. Because she is so easy-going, and because I like to eat so much, I know we will be eating a lot as I try to introduce her to everything there is to eat in Argentina in one week!

No comments: