Friday, December 26, 2008

My Aching Feet....

My feet are killing me. They started to hurt about a month ago, but in spite of my best efforts at stretching and doing exercises I found online, they still hurt. It doesn't help that I am trying to play tour guide to Diane. As much as I want to show her everything, I think I'm going to have to start taking it easy, and maybe sending her off on her own, while I sit in a cafe and wait. It's hard getting old....

Yesterday we had a nice relaxing Christmas day. I went to Diane's for lunch and we had the leftover Arab food and leftover seafood from Christmas Eve. We went up to the pool on her roof and swam for a bit and then I came back to my place and took a nap.

Later we were going to go to Hernan's, but when I called him, he said he had a few friends there drinking daiquiris and had more friends coming over. Of course we were invited, but the thought of a bunch of people crammed into his small apartment smoking cigarettes didn't appeal to me, so I told him we'd see him another day. I am giving him all of the things I bought for my kitchen to hold and use, and return to me when I come back next year if I need them. After that, he can have them. I'd rather give them to him than leave them in this apartment (which is nicely furnished, but does not have a very functional kitchen).

So instead, Diane and I had a mate and some cakes and then I took her on a tour of the Recoleta. It was a beautiful evening with a cool breeze blowing. It was almost chilly - a very nice and welcome change. The streets were beginning to come back to life as I suppose people were finished with whatever they did to celebrate Christmas. Fortunately, there were no firecrackers raining down from the balconies.

We walked the old streets of Recoleta, which is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Buenos Aires. Every few blocks we'd come across a little plazoleta, with a fountain or a statue. Big villas which are now used as embassies stood as reminders of the wealth that some Argentines enjoyed back when Argentina was progressing into the first world like Europe and the United States. I don't know where it all went wrong, but I am guessing the corruption, greed, military coups and a very unequal distribution of wealth were some of the culprits.

We crossed over 9 de Julio and walked a bit through my old neighborhood from last year. It was nice to see it again, now lush and green with all of the trees full of leaves. We passed Palacio San Martin, one of the biggest and most imposing villas, which is now open for tours (and I don't know what other purpose it serves other than taking up nearly an entire city block).

We headed back up through the Recoleta along Posadas, and then back to Diane's for dinner. We had the ravioli and bolognese sauce we got at Mas Pastas around the corner from me, and Diane made a yummy salad with old bread, tomatoes and onions. It was a nice finish to a nice day...except that my feet were killing me.

I came home and soaked my feet a bit and went to bed, but actually had a hard time sleeping because my feet were throbbing. I don't know why suddenly I am having problems with my feet and my legs, but it is just one more things on my list of things I need to talk to my doctor about when I return to SF.

Today we have foot massages, we might visit Hernan and I'm taking Diane to Florida Street and Gallerias Pacificas. I will probably sit in a cafe while she explores the shops because I need to make sure I'll be able to walk when I get home!

No comments: