Thursday, July 26, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth and fish...


In spite of the deliciously warm weather (is it global warming?) and my desire to go out and enjoy it, I spent the evening in with fish and Al Gore.

The fish turned out great, but it turned out I bought too much. I don't know what a kilo is, but it sounded like a lot, so I got a half kilo of fish. I made two packets and put mushrooms, green onions, garlic, ginger, white wine, carrots, potatoes, basil and red peppers. I sealed them up and baked them for 40 minutes, which might have been too much, but I think the oven was too hot. Anyway, the fish was delicious. The flavors blended really well and the vegetables were cooked just right.

I had a small salad with broccoli, red peppers, carrots and green onions with a dressing of lime juice and olive oil. It was really refreshing and the whole dinner seemed so healthy. I had a pear for desert.

Well, now I know where to buy fish in Buenos Aires. For anyone who might be looking, there is a fish store on Rodriguez Pena between Arenales and Juncal, across the street from El Mercado.

While I ate, I watched "An Inconvenient Truth". I know, I never saw it...

Now I really don't understand how almost 50% of the voting public voted for Bush. I sat and watched Gore do this amazing presentation, which I know he's done a bunch of times, but it was so well done, so articulate, so intelligent, and then I imagined Dubya saying things like "I'm the decider, I decide, hehehe...". He can't even string one sentence together if it hasn't been scripted for him, and even if it's scripted, he needs someone talking in his ear to tell him what to say. It's like a choice between Elmer Fudd and Gandhi. But, back to the theme of "how could it happen?", when people are getting their information from Fox News and Bill O'Reilly, their world view is very different, and they actually believed, and some still do, that Bush was the better candidate, or at least he'd be more fun to have a beer with (now that is just plain stupidity).

I didn't see this movie before because someone told me it was depressing, that Gore doesn't offer any solutions. Well, actually he offers quite a few solutions. The related website, climatecrisis.net, has some ideas for anyone looking for a way to make a difference. I've already taken some actions after watching Oprah's Earth Day special, but I'm sure there's more I can do.

One of my favorite things, beyond sensible things like recycling, using those new lightbulbs, being energy efficient, etc., is buying trees. You can buy trees, for only $1.00 each, and have them planted in places that really need them, like New Orleans, by going to American Forests.org

Hey, since I'm plugging websites here that have nothing to do with Argentina, well, actually everything has to do with Argentina because they are being affected by climate change as much as anyone, the glaciers in Patagonia are melting too, and they are not contributing as much to the problem as we are...but one of my favorite websites for people wanting to do something is Kiva.org - you can make microloans to people in the developing world to help them get out of poverty. It's a great way to help others directly, and be able to see the results of your help through their online journals. When the loan is paid back, you can reinvest it in someone else, or you can just take your money back.

I really do hope that people will wake up.

Here's the video of Melissa Etheridge singing the song from the movie (for which she won an Oscar).

No comments: