Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Linea A


Since it's gotten colder, I've been taking the same route to school every day. I walk 3 blocks to Plaza San Martin subte station and take Linea C, 3 stops to Avenida de Mayo. From there I walk underground to make a connection to Linea A, which I take one stop. I end up very near Plaza del Congresso where I stop in a cafe before my tango lesson.

Linea A is the oldest subway line in Buenos Aires and runs under Avenida de Mayo. It is also the oldest subway line in South America. I love making the connect from linea C. I have to walk about a block underground to get to the tracks for Linea A. On the way, I first pass a kiosk which sells super panchos (I now know that panchos are hot dogs) and some other greasy, fried stuff. It gives a wonderful smell to the subway station (seriously) and I'm often tempted to stop and grab something greasy.

I continue walking down a long passageway where often there is a guy playing a bandeon. A bandeon is a type of accordion that is like a long box. It is different from the accordion my sister used to play that looked like a piano. The bandeon looks more like a box that expands and contracts. It's very difficult to play, but to see someone play one well is an amazing sight. It's great walking down this long tiled passageway with the sound of the bandeon echoing throughout the station that smells like fried greasy food and hot dogs.



Just before reaching the station for Linea A, there is a tile of the Virgin of Lujan. I don't know what her particular story is, but I imagine she is similar to the Virgin of Guadalupe, or the Virgin whose name I forget that I saw in Costa Rica -both reincarnations of indigenous goddesses who were used to convert the indians. Well, I don't know anything about the Virgin of Lujan, but I've seen her image in several places around the city.

So here she is on the wall of this subway station almost directly across from the place where the guy is playing the bandeon. I like watching and seeing how many people will either touch her image and cross themselves, or simply walk by and cross themselves. A lot of people just ignore her, but it is interesting that she is there.

Then there are the trains on Linea A. The first time Larry took me to ride this line, we had to wait for three trains to pass because he wanted me to ride on one of the old wooden cars. Well, lately, I haven't had to wait at all. It seems like every time I get on, the cars are the old wooden ones. They are fun because the doors don't open automatically. To get on, you have to pull the doors open, and when the train stops, you also have to pull the doors open to get off. I like opening the doors before the train has completely come to a stop.

It's a fun little commute I have and now that temperatures are hovering around zero Centigrade, I really appreciate having a subway to take me where I need to go.

No comments: