Saturday, August 2, 2008

Post Flight...

Tired.

I arrived with no problems, or at least no insurmountable problems. The line at immigration was pretty long and moved along at a snail's pace. As we got closer to the little booths, we could see that one of the reasons the line looked so long was that there was a leak in the ceiling and they had part of the lining up area blocked off. There were two trash cans under the leak, which rained down at a pretty steady stream, while a young, handsome Argentine guy in a blue shirt, tie and gray slacks stood there and looked at it and every now and then shook his head in disgust. Occasionally, he would be joined by other similarly dressed men who would also shake their heads. I guess it was a disaster, but no one seemed to be doing anything about it.

As I got closer to the booth I started to get nervous. Would they ask me how long I was staying? What would I say? Would they ask me how much money I brought? If so, what would I say? Would they ask me about the drugs in my checked baggage? If so, what would I say? (prescription drugs, but 5 months worth is quite a supply) I saw other people being asked to produce things like boarding passes, other documents, etc. My boarding pass from the flight I was on somehow got lost when they checked my jacket. I didn't have any other documents other than the buquebus confirmation for me to go to Uruguay on September 24, but I didn't know if that would be enough. I had barely gotten out of San Francisco because the agent did not believe me that it would be ok. Maybe she was right.

Then came the moment of truth. I approached window number 6. I say "buenos dias" as cheerily as I could and handed the agent my passport and immigration form, which asked no questions about length of stay or purpose. He handed the form back to me to sign. He then asked me, "tourist?", I said "si". He stamped my passport and told me to have a good day. Phew!

What was the big deal anyway?

Baggage claim was nuts and there were none of those little carts you use to roll your luggage around, so I had to maneuver my laptop back, big backpack and two large wheely suitcases through another line (I forgot the airports here are all about lines and checkpoints) to put them through a radar screen. The guy only told me to put two plus the laptop bag but he didn't pay attention as they went through, so I guess security is pretty lax here. I made my way out to the arrivals lobby and looked for the little sign with my name on it.

This is the 2nd time I've tried arranging for transportation before arrival. This is the 2nd time I walked out and did not find the guy with the little card with my name on it. Struggling through the crowds with my luggage I looked at all of the cards with names on them but did not find mine. I walked through again, still nothing. I found a clearing, took off my jacket, finally found a luggage cart and loaded it up and then went through one more time. Still no card with my name. Frustrated I went to the window to get a taxi.

When the taxi arrived at my new apartment, Ralf was here waiting for me. I met Ralf last summer (winter) when he helped me after I locked myself out of my apartment. He also showed me a few apartments, including speedo, the place I'm staying now.

I told him the car didn't show up. He asked, "are you sure?" I said, "I didn't see it".

Ralf - "Well maybe you missed him."
Rick - "I looked three times."
Ralf - "Why didn't you call us?"
Rick - "I don't have your number"
Ralf - "Didn't Tomas send you and e-mail with our number?"
Rick - "Yes, but I had so many things to do before I left I didn't print it out. I assumed the car would be there. I have this confirmation with your company name on it, but there is no phone number (I didn't mention that I didn't have a phone or telephone card and it would have been a major hassle to call them).
Ralf - "Well that is strange because we use that comany hundreds of times and have never had a problem."
Rick - "Well, I looked three times and did not see him".
Ralf - "No one has ever had a problem before"
Rick - "Well, maybe I am the problem"

At which point Ralf finally gave it up and said I was not the problem. Ralf, by the way is German. I don't know if his insistence on being right is related to that at all.

He left me finally to unpack which I started to do. I hooked up my computer to the power strip I brought with me which I plugged into the wall with the adaptor I got at Bed, Bath and Beyond. As soon as I plugged it in there was a spark and a smell of electricity burning. Ooops. I blew out the adaptor and who knows what happened to the power strip. Fortunately, the computer is ok.

Then I went out to change money, get something to eat and buy a cell phone.

It's so nice to be here.

It is a little chilly. You can see your breath. They sky is overcast and gray. Everyone is walking around clutching their scarfs around their necks. There was a light drizzle and everything smelled moist and damp. Lovely.

I am only a few blocks from Avenida Santa Fe, one of my favorite streets. It is lined with shops and restaurants and was very busy this Saturday afternoon with people shopping, eating and just walking.

I passed a newspaper kiosk and there was a guy standing there talking to another man. The newspaper guy did one of the funniest gestures I ever saw. I almost burst out laughing right there and everytime I think about it I crack a smile.

Here is how you do this gesture.

Bend your arms at the elbows with palms facing up. Join the index finger and thumb on each hand. Now, keeping the elbows bent, raid your hands up to your armpits like you are going to pick something from out of them. Then quickly raise and lower your hands 4 or 5 times.

It was hysterical.

I changed money, bought my cell phone and went to a restaurant where I had 3 empanadas and a mixed salad.

This restaurant is a nice little corner restaurant on Santa Fe that I always looked at when I was here last summer but for some reason, was shy about entering. This time I was so hungry and didn't want to look any more, so I just went in, found a table by the window and placed my order. It was a very nice place. Lots of waiters, dressed formally with crisp white jackets, white aprons, white napkins in their aprons and black pants. They were very attentive. The funny thing though was that there was a soccer match on and you could hear the Village People singing YMCA. What a wonderful combination of things.

I am now back in my apartment and ready to take a nap. I got an e-mail from Hernan telling me he has to move and will be moving into his apartment in San Telmo on August 11. He bought an apartment before the peso crash of 2001 - a very smart move, since those who had money lost it, but those who bought property still have their properties at least. He is not working and said he had to rent his apartment last month because he needed the money, but will be staying with a friend until he can move back in. He's a funny guy this Hernan. I don't think he ever works and he always has financial problems, but he still seems to get by, staying at home smoking and playing music.

I e-mailed him to see if he wants to have dinner tonight.

For now, I am going to crawl into this very large bed I have and see how it feels.

It's nice to be here.

No comments: