Friday, August 22, 2008

What they might ask at the supermarket....

You may be asking why there is a picture of ice cream with a title about the supermarket...

This was my 2nd ice cream today (I haven't had any at all this week).

Today is a beautiful, warm and sunny day. I saw some plum blossoms, so spring is on its way.

After I bought my tango shoes I went to a little ice cream shop I saw because it was "artesanal", which means it's home made. It was good. I had lemon champagne and cherries a la panna. I don't know what panna is, but the cherries were like maraschino cherries and that flavor was a mistake.

So, as I was walking over to my favorite but far produce shop I passed Volta. I think this is my favorite ice cream shop in Buenos Aires, and this particular one. It's a nice location and the shop is open to the street with big windows on two sides. Volta is a nice environment anyway, and this one is really nice because of the big windows. They also have tables outside, but unless you like traffic fumes with your ice cream, it's not a good idea to sit outside (maybe on the weekend or at night is better).

Since it was hot and I was doing a lot of walking, I thought I deserved another ice cream. This time I got mandarin orange and mango with orange. I liked the mandarina, but wasn't crazy about the mango. So I sort of half struck out twice today.

From there I walked to Carrefour, around the corner from the produce shop. I wanted some spices and I know my neighborhood Disco doesn't have a huge selection of spices, but thought that Carrefour, which is a French chain, would. I found paprika, cinnamon and black pepper. I am still looking for ground coriander, but I have enough now to make my favorite chicken cous cous.

From Carrefour I went around the corner to the produce market to buy chauchitas. The two friendly brothers were working today. Turns out they call the chauchitas 'chauchas'. I don't get it. Hernan said the large beans, I guess we call them broad beans, are chauchas and the smaller ones, green beans are chauchitas. And here they love to add the ito/a ending to everything. This ending is a dimuntive and makes things "small". So amigo becomes amiguito, meaning my little friend. I've had people refer to a little bag (in the supermarket), a little flask (at the hospital) and the little check (in a restaurant), but for some reason, these little beans are not itas. Also, the brothers were not as animated today, so I think I am not going to walk halfway across town to buy my produce there. I think that when I said I didn't know the word in Spanish, they were excited because they knew I was from another place. But when I asked for "chauchitas" they just thought I was a regular old guy from the neighborhood and treated me as such. I was kind of disappointed.

Now, to the supermarket questions. I am wondering if there is an infinite number of questions they can possibly ask you at the checkout counter in the supermarket. Today I heard one I have never heard before.

I paid with my credit card today. I know they ask for your document and handed her my copy of my passport with the credit card. Then she asked "un pago?" My bill was $120 pesos, about $40 US. I wasn't expecting this question. I had her repeat it and when I got it (the 2nd time) I simply said yes. She was asking me if I wanted to pay in one payment. But I kind of laughed because it seems that every time I go to the supermarket, the question is different.

The other day when I went to the Dia down the block, the cashier asked me something but I had no idea what he was asking. He asked a 2nd time and I didn't get it. Finally, he pointed to a bag and I said no because I only had 2 items and I was a block from home. When I told Luis this story, he said it was because Dia charges for bags. Last night I went to the Dia again, and I heard the question. She asked me if I was going to want a bag. I was prepared because I had my own bag. Dia doesn't have a very good selection, but I like that they are encouraging people to bring their own bag.

At Disco I have been asked several questions. "Disco Club?" is asking whether or not I have a Disco club card. "Envio?" means if I want my groceries delivered. "Consumidor final?" is asking if I am the final consumer.

I think there are probably other questions I have been asked,or will be asked, but this is all I can think of for now.

I'm tired from all of the walking and am going to take a little siesta before I cook dinner and prepare for my arabic class tomorrow morning.

a-salam-malaikum!

No comments: