Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Take

Here is a segment from a film by Naomi Klein called "The Take". It is about the events that led up to the peso crash of 2001, but also what happened afterwards. Groups of workers took over their factories that were abandoned by the bosses and just left to rot. The quality of the video on You Tube is not great, so I recommend buying or renting the film. Naomi Klein is awesome. If you don't know about her, check out her other work, including the Shock Doctrine. What I have learned is that Argentina is a great place for me to learn about how the system works - what privitization and neoliberalism mean, what happens when the middle class is screwed, how we are manipulated and lied to, how a government can abuse its power, etc.... I learned more about the United States by being here for 2 months than I did in my 48 years of living there.

No comments: