Saturday, September 6, 2008

Post Vertigo Tango and Arabic



Heavily medicated I went about my day today and got through it. It was rainy and cold. Really the kind of Saturday to stay in bed and watch cartoons, but instead, I took a cab to school, about $2.50 and had fun in Arabic class.

I think our teacher spoke to the old woman who joined the class last week. She called her out into the hallway when she first arrived and the woman was better behaved today. The class wasn't as funny, but I did for some reason get a kick out of a letter that I thought was one of the many "ha's" in arabic. There is ha, ha, and ha. Written differently, but apparently all sounding the same. Totally mysterious to me. Well, one of these ha's, which I also had written as hamza, turned out to be called tamarbuta. For some reason after that, every time our teacher said "tamarbuta", I laughed. It was bordering on the kind of illicit laughing I used to do in church. It's the kind of thing that once it starts, it is difficult to stop. I was able to control myself after the first few chuckles though, and eventually I got a hold of myself.

What amazes me is that when the teacher comes around and checks our work, she is able to understand what I have written. I am just copying from the board, or the worksheets, but I have no idea what I am writing. Yet, she can read it. I am hoping in time, this will all make sense to me. I need to study every day though. Now we are learning some vocabulary too, and it looks like the next dialogue in the book is written only in Arabic script. I have no idea how we are supposed to read it!

After I got home, I made pot of lentils (lentejas a la espanola). I make lentils the way they make them here, more or less. I put chorizo, pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, wine and some cumin. They were really yummy. Hernan came by for a visit and had some. We also tried some alfajores I found at the Disco. I've been sampling alfajores lately, which are cookies filled with dulce de leche. The ones they sell at the kiosks are ok, and there are others that I've had that have a very dry cookie outside, but these had what looked like shortbread filled with dulce de leche. They were really yummy. Hernan and I had two and a half each!

After Hernan left, I took a nap and tried to rest up for my tango lesson. I took another meclizine and took the subway to Cordoba and Callao to walk to Corrientes to meet Marcelo.

It was very cold and drizzling. A really yucky night to be out. I was worried about the tango lesson and afraid it might set off a bout of vertigo. All was fine however, other than the fact that my mind was a little dulled by the meclizine and I had a hard time with some of the steps we did. Still, amazingly, Marcelo said "muy bien" (very good) several times. I also felt I was improving. I am feeling really good about leading now that I have some ideas how to do it. I've learned how to lead using my torso and my right arm, which were never really emphasized in other tango classes I took before coming here. It all makes such a difference. Today Marcelo was really picky about some technical things and it was really good for me to have such a critical focus.

I walked home as it seemed warmer when I left the class. On the way home I stopped for a mini pizza and then stopped in Farmacity to get another Kinder. When Hernan was here we put together a toy surprise I got from a different chocolate egg that was not Kinder. But I decided I like the Kinder surprises and want to collect them. I saw that they had them in Farmacity, but when I got in line I found that they also have Huevo Jack (Egg Jack), which have Simpons figures inside. I got a Kinder and Huevo Jack. The Huevo Jack had a little figure of Lisa on a chair. It's cute. For some reason it was not in the egg. The chocolate is better in the Kinder. I'm going to have to decide if I want a Simpson's collection or good chocolate.....

No comments: