Sunday, October 5, 2008

Colonia is Colonial

Well, I made it to Colonia with the help of 3 doses of meclizine. I took one dose at 9 before my vertigo attack, another nearly six hours later, at 3 and then a third for good measure right before I boarded the ferry at 6. I thought that last one would knock me out and I´d wake up at the other end of the journey on an empty ferry, the captain shaking me to wake me up, but that didn´t happen.

The trip was very smooth. I thought it would be rough. I took the rapid boat, which took one hour as opposed to 3. Raul told me the fast boat would be a rough ride because it rides above the waves. Maybe it is the other way around. My return trip from Montevideo is 3 hours. I booked first class since it was only $30 extra, hopefully it won´t be a choppy return.

My hotel is an old inn, but not as luxurious as I had imagined. I thought I had a jacuzzi in my room. I have a shower that is barely separated from the rest of the bathroom - not even a tub. Oh well. It is rustic, with stone walls, antique furniture and wooden shutters. I´m in the lobby now, which is very quiet and smells nice. It´s a little cold.

After arriving I went out for walk and to scavenge up some food. I settled on a place that had other people sitting at a table, thinking they were there early for dinner. I didn´t want to be the first. Turns out the place was closing. Oh well. Anyway, I asked the waitress for a recommendation and she recommended a chivita, which is a local speciality. Raul and Gonzalo told me about these. I thought it was a sandwich, but instead, what I got was a piece of beef with a fried egg on top. The beef was on a bed of french fries and had a side of lettuce and tomato and some potato salad. That plus water cost me $20! Wow, I was shocked when she told me the price.

Tomorrow I´ll go out and explore a little after breakfast. I´ve decided I am going to just take a meclizine every six hours until I can get this meniere´s to calm down again. Maybe this is a phase. Colonia seems laid back and I think there will be some nice plazas where I can sit in the sun and just hang out.

Right now I am going to go brush my teeth and get in bed and read a bit of my guide book. It has been an exhausting day.

No comments: