Thursday, October 16, 2008

To Move or Not To Move?

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day! The sky was a perfectly clear blue, the temperature was perfect and the air seemed really fresh and clean after all of the rain we've been having. Even when I saw cars pass with lots of black smoke coming out of their rear, it seemed to clear up faster than normal. The trees are pretty full with thick branches full of lush green leaves. This is the first time I've seen the trees in Buenos Aires when they were blooming and not bare. They provide a really beautiful canopy on the streets and I suppose in the summer, the shade will be nice.

I went to the gym this morning and then came home for lunch and a quick nap. I had an appointment at 1:30 to go look at an apartment possibility for next year. I've decided one of my projects will be to explore neighborhoods and look at places and decide whether or not I want to come back to the same place next year (if it is available) or try a new location.

The apartment I went to see today was located near Las Heras park in Palermo. It was on a small street that ran between Las Heras and Libertador, two very busy thorofares. Walking over there and crossing Las Heras felt like I was crossing a freeway, though the block that the apartment is on is quiet. I don't think this is my neighborhood. I didn't see much there other than a hospital across the street, which might not be a good thing (ambulances in the middle of the night?).

The apartment was nice. It was on the top floor of a 9 story building and had a balcony and a patio on the roof. There were two dogs up on the patio which I guess belonged to the guy who was living there and was apparently out of town, but had a friend staying there who was in the bathroom when we got there (and we didn't realize it for a while). The whole scene was a little weird with the guy in the bathroom, and the dogs on the roof and all that.

From there I walked to a street called Coronel Diaz or something like that and spotted a Volta with tables outside in the shade. I got an ice cream and pulled out my Arabic book and tried doing some of the writing exercises, but gave up in frustration. I still am not able to read Arabic or join letters without some teacherly help. I am a little frustrated, but not too worried since I am planning on doing this again in San Francisco, where I am pretty sure I'll get it. I just have to endure a few more of these classes until the semester is over.

I walked down Coronel Diaz and passed through Alta Palermo Shopping Center - a ritzy, glitzy mall type thing on Santa Fe. It was really crowded and smelled very perfumy, so I just walked through and then continued over to the other side of Santa Fe to the neighborhood I found there that I like. The street, Charcas, that I like, has a pedestrian walkway for a few blocks and it is really lovely. There are some nice cafes and restaurants and it seemed more like the kind of neighborhood I want. It is not much further out than where I am now and is located close to the subte. There is also a lot there. It still might be a bit busy. One apartment I found in that neighborhood is on the ground floor and I am not sure how that would be. I'll have to try to see that apartment.

I walked a lot today and as I was walking down Santa Fe and about to turn onto my street I ran into Hernan. I didn't see him as I was busy trying to avoid the many pedestrians in my way. He called out to me several times before I heard him. We spoke briefly and he introduced me to his friend and we said we'd talk later. I came home and passed out on the sofa before watching my evening programs and eating dinner.

Tomorrow I am meeting a new conversation partner, Matias, at school. I have a feeling this might be Matias from my Italian class. I posted a note at school with the other people who have notices up for conversation exchange. I also got an e-mail from a guy who said he saw my "sheep" at school (he meant sheet). Seems to me he is a perfect candidate for an exchange partner for me. I don't like having a partner who is more fluent in English than I am in Spanish.

It's only 11:15 but I am exhausted. May you have an illuminated evening!

No comments: