Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tango or Death

Ok,this post was completely unplanned and unexpected, but that's the thing I like about blogging - I never know where it's going (even though I do compose some entries while I'm walking down the street before I get back to my computer).

Well, in this case, after watching the video of Yo Yo Ma playing Libertango and remembering how much I love seeing people play the bandoneĆ³n, I tried to find a tango orchestra with some good shots of bandoneĆ³n players really going at it. The bandeon is an amazing instrument and for me epitomizes the spirit of tango.

You Tube being what it is, I got lost for hours (maybe not really hours) and watched some great tango videos. I'd love to post them all, but maybe not today.

What I did find was an amazing short film that I know nothing about, but I am going to post it for several reasons.

1. It is entertaining.
2. It shows some the things I love about Buenos Aires and the people who live here.
a. The gestures
b. The way they will protest anything.
c. The way they speak truth to power (and power does not speak back)
3. It shows the passion of tango.
4. It is subtitled in English, so everyone can understand it.

A few weeks ago when I was in San Telmo I ran into two tango orchestras on the street. I imagine that this orchestra was playing on the street and didn't have a permit and that is why the police tried to move them away. I also imagine that the crowds were there watching the orchestra because this was San Telmo on a Sunday and there are always crowds. But I could be wrong about all of this. Anyway, enjoy the video (I can't embed the video, so here is the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVm2YDCfutw

PART II
Well, I went back to You Tube and found this video which I am able to embed. It turns out my guess was right - the little protest in the above film takes place in San Telmo on Sunday. This film has some of the same footage as the above film but only focuses on the protest that rises up spontaneously as the police officer tries to get the tango orchestra to break up their performance. This is class Buenos Aires. I love it!

No comments: