Sunday, October 5, 2008

Off to Uruguay
























Well, I am off to Uruguay for my mini-vacation in the middle of what seems like a vacation but really isn't. Vacations are fun and special and relaxing and exotic and uplifting, living in a place for more than a few weeks begins to become living in a place with all of the ups and downs that that brings. I am really glad I came here and I know there will be lots of things about Buenos Aires that I will miss when I am back in my comfort zone in SF, but right now I am really looking forward to a little break. From what I've been reading and hearing from people about Uruguay, it is one of South America's best kept secrets.

First I am taking a taxi to the Buquebus pier to catch a boat to Colonia del Sacramento - Colonia for short. Colonia is a World Heritage site and is a small port town with cobblestone streets and Portuguese colonial architecture. Gonzalo, the guy who puts seeds in my ear, loves Colonia. When I told him I was going, he got so excited, I got excited.

I had an opportunity to go to Colonia last year when I was here, but it was winter, and I would have had to go with the kids who were part of the program I signed up to study Spanish with. It didn't seem like my idea of fun and I would not have had any place to escape from the elements if I got cold.

This time I am arriving on Sunday and spending the night Sunday and Monday and on Tuesday I will take the bus to Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay.

I'm excited about the place I am staying in Colonia, which is called Posada del Virrey. It is an inn in a beautiful old building and the rooms have stone walls. It looks totally luxurious and is really the kind of getaway spot I am craving right now. I am looking forward to strolling the old streets of Colonia, finding a nice sunny cafe to hang out at, and just relaxing.

In Montevideo, I will be staying at the Balmoral Plaza Hotel, which doesn't look as special as Posada del Virrey, but it is also half the price. From what I hear, Montevideo is like Buenos Aires 50 years ago. Raul told me he loves Montevideo, and Hernan also raved about it. For them it is an escape from Buenos Aires with a laid-back retro feel. Both Gonzalo and Raul have told me that Uruguayans are very friendly.

I'm looking forward to this little escape. I will be sure to take a meclizine before getting on the boat, even though I've been vertigo free all week, I am not taking any chances.

I'll try to blog while I am there, just to keep up with recording the adventure and will also post some pics. I'm not bringing my laptop with me since it doesn't look like I'll have internet in my room, but I am sure I'll find computers. It will also be one less thing to lug with me.

I also updated my photo blog with some new pictures. Be sure to check them out!

Be back on Friday in time for my Arabic class. Chau!!!

No comments: