Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Piazzola Was in My Dream

I had a funny dream last night. I was in a tango class - one of the beginning classes that I've taken here with all of the old people who I feel very comfortable with. There was one older guy, thin and quiet, who didn't really dance. He sat and observed, but wasn't confident enough to dance. One of the other students told me he was Piazzola.

Piazzola was a very famous tango composer - he composed some of my favorite tangos, among them Libertango - I'm putting in a video here of Yo Yo Ma playing it - I get goosebumps every time I hear it.

Well anyway, Piazzola was in my tango class in my dream, but he wasn't dancing. The other students and the teacher didn't know he was Piazzola. I only knew because someone else had told me.

He couldn't dance tango. He was instead observing and making all of these very complicated notes. I tried to help him out.

I don't remember what happened after that, but I thought about this dream when I was walking home from Italian today and thought it was quite funny. I wonder if these great tango masters - composers and singers like Piazzola and Gardel could actually dance this dance or if they just created the music for everyone. Anyone into dream interpretation? What do you think this dream meant?

Ok, here's Yo Yo Ma playing Libertango. Enjoy. (Check out the guy playing the bandoneĆ³n - the little accordian that is a characteristic part of tango music - I've decided that is next for me....)

No comments: